Are you having issues with Apple CarPlay? Sometimes you may not be able to connect your iPhone to CarPlay. Another common issue is that CarPlay suddenly stops working or keeps disconnecting after it is connected, and this may start after an iOS update. Sometimes, your iPhone may not be detected by CarPlay. Sometimes CarPlay may freeze and you may see a black screen. And lastly, you may have a CarPlay sound problem.
You can use CarPlay easily. Once connected, your iOS apps will show up on your car display. Then, for example, you can send or receive messages, get directions or make or receive phone calls; hands-free so that you can focus on the road.
Please see the tips below. After each step, try using CarPlay again.
First, let’s review the CarPlay requirements:
To run the CarPlay app, you will need an iPhone or a car or stereo that’s compatible with CarPlay.
Check if your car or stereo is compatible
An increasing number of makes and models are compatible. The numbers are changing quickly. There are currently more than 500 car models. You can see the full list of compatible vehicles on the Apple website.
The following aftermarket stereos are also compatible:
Check if your iPhone is compatible
These iPhone models support CarPlay:
- iPhone 11 Pro and newer
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone 11
- iPhone Xs
- iPhone Xs Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 5s
- iPhone 5c
- iPhone 5
Other iPhone models are not compatible.
Check if your country or region supports CarPlay
CarPlay is not available everywhere. See Apple’s website that CarPlay is currently available.
Check if Siri is turned on
Siri needs to be enabled:
- On your iPhone, go to Settings > Siri & Search. Make sure that the following options are enabled:
- Listen for “Hey Siri”.
- Press Side Button for Siri or Press Home for Siri.
- Allow Siri When Locked.
See this article if Siri is not working.
Check if CarPlay is allowed while locked
On your iPhone, go to Settings > General > CarPlay > Your Car > and turn on “Allow CarPlay While Locked”.
Furthermore. make sure that CarPlay is not restricted. On your device, go to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > Allowed Apps and make sure that CarPlay is enabled.
Check if your iPhone and your car’s infotainment system are turned on
Yes, it is obvious. But check anyway.
Furthermore, make sure that if your car has a “activate” option, make sure that that option is selected.
If you are unable to connect
If you are having issues connecting your iPhone to your vehicle and using CarPlay. To connect your iPhone to your car, there are two ways, depending on your car:
- Simply plug in your phone using a USB cable. If you are having issues:
- Make sure that your USB cable is Apple certified, especially if you see the “This Accessory Is Not Supported By This Device” message.
- If possible, try a different USB port to connect.
- If possible, try a different USB cable.
- Make sure that your USB cable is connected properly.
- Make sure that your charging port and the USB port are clean and there are no damages.
- If your car supports wireless connection, pair your phone with your car’s Bluetooth.
- Turn on Airplane Mode on your iPhone, wait 10 seconds and turn it off (Settings > Airplane Mode).
- Restart your iPhone.
- Make sure that Bluetooth is turned on on your iPhone. (see this article if you cannot turn on Bluetooth).
- Restart your car’s infotainment system (it is usually done by pressing and holding the volume or power knob).
Update your iPhone to the latest version of iOS. You can update your iPhone wirelessly. Here is how:
- Make sure that your iPhone is connected to the Internet.
- Then go to Settings > General > Software Update.
- Tap Download and Install.
- And follow the onscreen instructions.
If you are using an aftermarket device, please check the manufacturer’s website to see if a firmware update is available and if there is, find out how you can update.
Restart your iPhone, your car’s infotainment system and your car. Here is how you can restart your iPhone:
- iPhone X, 11 or later: Press and hold the power (side or top) and volume up (or down) buttons together until you see the power off slider. Drag the slider to turn it off. Then press and hold the power button until your device starts.
- Other iPhone models: Press and hold the side or top button until the power off slider appears. Slide the slider. Then press and hold the side or top button until the Apple logo appears.
You can also restart your car’s infotainment system. This is different for different cars and models. For example, you may need to press and hold down the audio system power knob for at least 10 seconds. Again this may be different for your car. Simply check your car’s manual.
Forget and set up
If you are still having your problem, try to re-setup. Here is how:
- On your iPhone, tap Settings > General > CarPlay > your car > Forget This Car.
Now you will need to set up again. Here is how:
Depending on your car:
- Simply plug your iPhone into the USB port in your car.
- Or if your car supports wireless CarPlay, go to Settings > General > CarPlay, tap Available cars, and then select your car.
If you are still having this issue, this may mean that there is an issue with your car’s stereos system. You can also contact Apple Support.
See also: ‘Show Parked Car Location’ Not Working?