Apple Watch Workout Route Not Showing in the Activity App, Fix
Several users have reported that they are unable to see their routes in the Activity app on the iPhone. This article explains how you can fix if you do not see the workout maps on your iPhone. You should be able you see your route. Simply open the Activity app and go to > Workouts > select a workout > and scroll down and tap the map thumbnail. When you tap the thumbnail, you will see a larger version of your route map. You will not see the map thumbnail if a map has not been recorded.
See this article if the Activity app is not working.
Your Apple Watch can help you maintain a healthy lifestyle. Apple Watch users can take advantage of mapping their routes for running, hiking, or walking, biking, or outdoor swimming. This means that your workout route captures a map summary of your workouts. For example, if you ran, hiked, or biked while wearing your Apple Watch, the Activity app on your iPhone will have a map of that route for you to review.
See this article if Exercise Ring is not working.
If a route map is not being recorded as expected, then the following steps may help.
You might have issues seeing the route and using the Activity app for one of these reasons:
- This feature is not available on all Apple Watch models. You need to have an Apple Watch 2 or later.
- Is your iPhone with you during your workout? When you run, walk, bike, or hike; your iPhone needs to be with you. Make sure that you keep your Apple Watch and paired iPhone close together.
- Are Location Services enabled? Also, make sure that route tracking is enabled. You can check this by going to Settings > Privacy > Location Services. Make sure that “Location Services” is enabled. Then go to Settings > Privacy >Location Services > Apple Watch Workout and ensure that it is set to While Using the App. And go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Maps > and tap While Using the App. And lastly, go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > and ensure that Motion Calibration & Distance is turned on.
- On your iPhone, make sure that Bluetooth is turned on and Airplane Mode is not turned on.
See this article if Location Services are not working.
If you meet all of the conditions listed above and still experience this problem, follow these steps:
After trying each step below, test the Activity app again to see if your map problem is resolved.
- Disable Location Services and wait 10 seconds and then enable by going to Settings > Privacy > Location Services.
- On your iPhone, go to Settings > General > Privacy > Apple Watch Workout and select Never. Then exit Settings. And then go back to Settings > General > Privacy > Apple Watch Workout and select While Using the App.
- Restart your Apple Watch and iPhone:
- First, restart your iPhone. iPhone X, 11 or later: Press and hold the side and volume up (or down) buttons together until the power off slider appears. Then move the slider from left-to-right. Wait a few seconds for your iPhone to turns off. Then press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo.
- Other iPhone models: Press and hold the side or top button until you see the power off slider. Drag the slider all the way to the right. Then press and hold the side or top button until you see the Apple logo.
- Apple Watch: Press and hold the side button until the power off slider appears. Then drag the onscreen slider. Wait for your watch to fully turns off. Then press and hold the side button then the Apple logo appears.
- Update your Apple Watch and iPhone:
- First, update your iPhone to the latest version of iOS: Go to Settings > General > Software Update.
- Then, update your watch: You can update your watch using your iPhone (Apple Watch app > General > Software Update), or you can directly update your watch by going to Settings > General > Software Update on your Apple Watch. (See this article if you are unable to update your Apple Watch).
- Un-pair and then re-pair. You will not lose your data. Follow the steps below:
- On your Apple Watch, go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.
- On your iPhone, open the Watch app and go to My Watch > select your watch > tap the (i) icon > tap Unpair Apple Watch.
- Now, to pair again, turn on your Apple Watch (see this article if your watch won’t turn on) and wear it. Keep your iPhone and Watch close together. On your iPhone, a message will appear saying “Use your iPhone to set up this Apple Watch”. Click continue and then follow the onscreen instructions. Make sure that you enable route tracking during the process.
If you still need help, you may want to contact Apple Support. You can also make a Genius Bar reservation. You can also get answers with Apple’s online chat service.
After trying all advice above and still no map, found the solution: on the iPhone settings>privacy>health>heartwatch>workout routes should be turned on (was off by default)
Same problem, no workout route since the update. Tried all “fixes” without success. Workouts randomly don’t sync.
This stopped working for me back in June 2020. I tried all the above “fixes” to no avail.
Upgraded to a Series 6 and iPhone 12 Pro on the same day and hope the restore would work and get this working.
Nope. Still busted and shows only the starting point.
Same problem here: (Apple Watch 6, iOS 7.0.2, iPhone 6s, iOS 14.0.1) maps for my outdoor walk are not showing, lost old maps as well. Tried resetting watch/phone, unpairing and pairing back the watch, erasing the watch, erasing the phone. Also did reset calibration data and reset my network connection. Nothing works. On top of that I lose a workout sometimes (calories and minutes update, but workout not showing up on the list of workouts). My heart rate chart is sometimes unavailable as well. I had Apple Support check my settings, run diagnostics through my watch, everything is fine. I hope this will get fixed soon.
Same thing here, received iWatch6 end Oct, had GPS route maps displayed & last week upgraded IOS. GPS route maps now not working. Seen blogs here re backup to iCloud method, lhave lots of videos & photos, & lots of contacts from 2010 restored successively previous iPhones, (iphone 10 latest).
So, what is the Apple official fix & will next IOS upgrade fix this “automatically”!!
Same problem here (Apple Watch5 IOS 7.0.2/Iphone XR just updated to IOS 14.0.1). Maps in the workout app are not showing. Neither is heart rate. I did two workouts today. high intensity and outdoor walk. High intensity showing, but doesn’t have heart rate. Walk is not showing
Same problem here (Apple Watch3, OS 7.0.2/Iphone 7, IOS 14.0.1). Maps in the workout app are not showing. Even previous runs that I’m sure had a map, don’t show the routes anymore. Cycling, walking, running: nothing! The Nike Run Club app works fine and is still showing route data.
i8plus os14.0.1 and watch 3 os7.0.1
tried ewerything many times also tried deleted phone and watch as well and still didnt get map tracking, sadly it started with not measuring vo2max and after another update watch os to 7 stopped route tracking
phone and watch are updated tried many types of settings also reseted several times, not talking about loosing my data due to investigation
this looks like bigger bug
I have successfully fixed this. I first restarted my watch and iPhone and that didn’t help. When news from Apple came out stating to disconnect the Apple Watch from the iPhone and reconnect it and restore it from the backup and then also reset the iPhone and restore it, I started with the Apple Watch first and did that since I didn’t want to have to reset my whole iPhone. So after disconnection the Apple Watch and reconnecting it and restore the Apple Watch backup, I did an Outdoor Walk and the GPS tracking worked again. Your mileage may vary, but it worked for me.
Since update on iPhone and iwatch it has not recorded route on outdoor walking biking etc. Done all above and still no joy was working fine before update.
I’ve iwatch 3 and iPhone X.
Agree. I am having the same issues since the update. XR and watch 4.
Same here. I had an outdoor on 9/20 and it had the map and on 9/23, the map didn’t work as well as today. All I get is the start or end location, but not the path.
Hello! Does it work now? I’m having the same issue after doing calibrations as well
Same here. All of my precious routes for workouts are gone. I’ve tried everything but resetting my iPhone. Is that seriously the fix?
Maps not working on Apple Watch 5 when using the “Golf” workout. I’m beginning to think it does not apply to this workout type. It does work with “outdoor walk”
Exactly my problem. On open golf I can see the course but my movement is static yet it registered heart rate, open walk gives the map but no heart rate ……… watch5
Maybe need to ask a genius 🙄