iPhone: How To Block “No Caller ID” Calls

Are you getting a lot of calls from unknown callers (e.g., spammers, telemarketers etc) with “No Caller ID”. You may want to block these calls because you cannot possible identify the number of a caller before answering. These calls may also be labeled as Anonymous, Private, or Blocked.

no caller id calls

You are receiving these calls because, in the USA, The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) mandates that cellular carriers allow people the ability to block their Caller ID, hence No Caller ID. Some ordinary people may want to block the display of their telephone numbers intentionally because of some privacy concerns.

There are also more and more telemarketers, spammers using No Caller ID because they do not want to be known.

The good news is that you can block specific callers/numbers.

In this short article. I am explaining what you can do to block No Caller ID calls. There are basically two methods to do this:

Method 1: Do Not Disturb

You can block unknown callers using the Do Not Disturb mode. This mode lets you silence calls. Here is how:

• Go to Settings > Do Not Disturb
  • Choose Manual and turn on Do Not Disturb (when it is on, you will see a moon icon in the status bar)
  • Tap Allows Calls From
  • Choose “All Contacts

All calls from numbers/anyone who isn’t already added to your address book will now be silenced. This means that “No Caller ID” calls will be silenced because they won’t be in the address book.

Note that the calls are not blocked, they are only silenced. You’ll still get the calls.

Method 2:Using Contacts

• Create a new contact, you may name this new contact “No Caller ID”. Here is how:
    • Launch the Phone app
    • Tap Contacts
    • tap the + button
    • As phone number, enter 000-000-0000
    • Tap Done
    • Now scroll down and tap Block this caller. A popup will appear saying “you will not receive phone calls, messages or FaceTime from people on the block list” then tap Block Contact.

no caller id block

Method 3: Block  No Caller ID Calls (cellphone services)

The ONLY way to truly block a number is at the network level.

Most cellular carriers have a feature to block these calls. Here is how:

Check with your carrier provider to see if they provide this feature. Some carriers, as of now, do not offer this (e.g., Sprint).

Notes

See also: How to Unlock a Device From a Previous Owner’s Apple ID?

You can not find out who a “No Caller ID” caller is.

Note you can easily block a phono number/contact individually by going to Settings > Phone > Call Blocking & Identification.

If you want to hide your number/caller id when calling, simply go to Settings > Phone > Show My Caller ID and turn this off. Please note that not all carriers allow this.

The terms “No Caller ID”, “Private Caller“, “Unknown Caller”, “Blocked Call”, or “Anonymous Call” are the same thing.

See also: How to Turn 4G or LTE Off On iPhone

59 thoughts on “iPhone: How To Block “No Caller ID” Calls”

1. I tried all options and nothing seems to be working, last option I could add the name on contacts and I can scroll down to the bottom of the screen where it gives me the option to block the contact, when I press the button to block a message pops up saying you’ll not receive calls from this number but doesn’t block. I am able to block proper number with digits entered on the phone number field but not without a phone number.

2. The only option is to buy an android phone, because my friend has a Samsung Galaxy S7 and he’s phone has an option to block No Caller ID/Withheld Numbers. Thanks Apple for showing that you care about your customers (sarcasm)

3. Option 2 worked for me. I entered my phone book and clicked the tab to create new contact. In first name, I entered (case sensitive) No Caller ID and then saved it. I clicked into the name and scrolled down to block caller. When I tested it from my land line, the call did not go through when the number was hidden.

It probably should be noted that “Private Caller” or “Number Withheld” or whatever the message displays for hidden numbers is what you may need to enter as the name. After a year of No Caller ID silent calls, I am hopeful I won’t receive them anymore.

Actually, I might unblock it and answer the next time and say the call is being logged by the police for a harassment complaint and the hidden number will be blocked….then block it. The caller will then think that there is a complaint, because their hidden number won’t connect anymore 🙂

4. I had already blocked 000-000-0000 so when I looked at that option I had the choice to unblock! So I am good.

Thanks for the info!

5. It worked for me….I didn’t when I put No Caller Id…lower case “d”…but when I put upper case “D” it worked…scroll down past send message, past share my location…it should be there to block….

not sure why it worked..but it did

6. And Option #1 isn’t ideal, either. I use DND mode at night to block anyone but close family, friends. If I go with that method, I can’t use that as well… It basically takes away the DND feature in order to block No Caller ID calls

• Not really– you can switch between “Everyone” “No one” “Favorites” (Which is where all people you wnt to get hthrough should go anyway), “All contacts”, and, in my case, “Number Guru” (as spam caller managerI use), and “OWA” (Outlook address book).

In my case, I flip between “Everyone” and “Favorites” to manage how many people can get through and ring.

7. Method 2 does not work. I did add 000-000-0000 and have this contact blocked. Then from a different line I can still dial *67myiphone# and my iphone 6s+ rings up.

8. Method 2 doesn’t work. I addd the contact o my iPhone with zeroes but there is no block caller feature to select when you craft a contact.

• Paula is right – I did the same thing – there is no option to “block contact”, It only has Send Message, Share Contact, Add to Favorites, Share Location

• I just did it with contact name No Caller ID and the number and it does give me the option to block the number. Time will tell if my idiot ex decides to call again at 1am

• If I may suggest, here’s the solution on iPhone X. Open contacts and enter a new contact. You only have the number, so make up a name. Enter that name and then for number, put in the number that’s been bothering you. Click done. Now go to the phone app and click on contacts. Go to your made-up name, with the bad phone number, scroll down to block the call.

• It works if you open contacts after you are in the phone app. It won’t work if you just go to your contacts outside of the phone app. When in contacts from within the phone app you get the block option.

• Add a name. I did “No Caller ID Block”. Then I added ten zeros under number. That is enough to create a contact so press “Done”. Then when you see the contact, like any other contact, scroll all of the way down to “Block Contact” and select that.

• Add the number to your contacts. Go through the block feature in the Settings from there you need to add the contact.
            Settings – Phone – Call Blocking Identification – Block Contact – Add the contact

• Hi, I have an iPhone 8 and was able to block the 000-000-0000 number. To do so just
      1- create the contact, save it,
      2- go into the “Settings” app,
      3- go into “phone” settings, then
      4- “blocked callers” and from there you can manually place the contact onto the “Blocked Callers” list. Hope that helps!