iPhone Keeps Saying Incorrect Wi-Fi Password (But It’s Correct); Fix

I started having this problem last night. Basically, I was having trouble to reconnect to my Wi-Fi network. Suddenly, last night, my iPhone decided that my Wi-Fi password was incorrect, even though I was using the same password for years without any problem. Here is what exactly happened in this order:

1. My iPhone disconnected from a Wi-Fi connection that my iPhone had been connected to
  2. My iPhone tried to re-connect. My iPhone was not able to connect automatically, like it did all the time
  3. But iPhone did not accept the network password to let me join, even I entered the correct password manually also.

See also: Cannot join hidden network?

incorrect wi-fi password error

This article explains how I was able to resolve this problem. Are you having the same problem? All iOS devices can have this problem. Randomly, your iPhone (or iPad) says the password is incorrect? If you are having the same issue, please follow the steps below to resolve it:

Incorrect Wi-Fi Password

Steps to resolve this problem, please after each step check if you fixed the problem:

1. First of all, lets make sure that you are entering the password correctly (note that Wi-Fi passwords are case sensitive)
  2. Do you have other devices and are they connecting the same Wi-Fi without any problems?
  3. Make sure that Auto-Join is turned on. Go to Settings > Wi-Fi and find your Wi-Fi and tap the info (i) icon next to it and turn on Auto-Join.
  4. Weak Wi-Fi signals may cause this. Move closer to your router, does this fix your problem? if it does, then your problem is poor Wi-Fi signals.
  5. Turn off Airplane Mode, wait a few seconds and then turn back off by going to Settings > Airplane Mode.
  6. In iOS, tap Settings > Wi-Fi, then find your connection and tap the info (i) icon next to it and tap Forget This Network, tap Confirm and then try to reconnect.
  7. Restart everything:
    1. Your iOS device (iPhone or iPad). You can shut down your device by going to Settings > general and scroll down and the tap Shut Down. Then start your device.
    2. Restart your router and Modem. Unplug your router (and modem) from its power source. Wait about one minute. And then reconnect by plugging them back into the power source. Some modems have backup batteries. If your modem has batteries, remove these as well. Wi-Fi interference from other connections many cause this problem. Restarting your router will likely fix this.
  8. Update everything:
    1. Update your iOS device. You can do so wirelessly by going to Settings > General > Software Update
    2. Make sure that your router has the latest software. Check your router’s manual to see how you can update.
  9. If you are still having problems, reset your network settings. Please note that doing so will remove your settings (e.g., your Wi-Fi passwords etc). Simply go to  Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Do not worry, you will not lose any data.
  10. Check to see if your router has MAC filtering enabled, turn off Mac filtering (Media Access Control) if it is on. Mac filtering limits the devices. Please note that this is mostly disabled by default. See your router’s manual for more information regarding this. Apple recommends this disabled.

See also: Cannot connect to a known network?

If you are having problems, contact Apple support. You may chat or make a Genius Bar appointment.

44 thoughts on “iPhone Keeps Saying Incorrect Wi-Fi Password (But It’s Correct); Fix”

1. * For iphone go to settings>privacy>location services
    Turn OFF ‘Networking and Wireless’

Then…

settings>mobile data
    Scroll down to near the bottom
    Turn OFF ‘Wifi Assist’ – RESTART phone

* For iPad go to settings>privacy>location services>

Turn OFF ‘Networking and Wireless’

* For Mac go to system settings>security and privacy>location services >system services
    Click the lock to make changes
    Untick ‘wifi networking’

All of these worked for me.

2. Unfortunately the problem is iPhone/iPad (Apple) ect. I have had the same problem several times on multiple devices. I have tried combinations of all the steps above and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.
    Just give up and make the switch to an android device (samsung). You’ll never look back!

3. if all the above does not work – go to skyhub 192.168.0.1.
    and enter user name – admin
    password -sky
    add your device manually -name -unknown
    mac address – is your wifi address youget by going into settings on your iphone . spent 3 hrs and finally got it

4. I was having the same problem today. None of the above worked for me — but miraculously, I stumbled back into my wifi network. I’ll tell you what worked in my case: I went into check if my software was up to date (which I knew it was,) and the message popped up to input my wifi password, (because I can’t update my software unless I’m on wifi.) I put it in and voila! My wifi is back on. Settings>General>Software update and then I was prompted to input my password.

5. This happens to me on a regular basis with my iPad mini. It’s been happening for years. After trying everything suggested all over the internet I’ve found the most stress free way of “fixing” it is to tap Cancel when the prompt to enter the “correct” password appears and then just try connecting again. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to join the network, sometimes I have to give up for that day and try again another day.

I’ve just accepted the fact that Apple products aren’t reliable. This solution works for me because my main device is an Android phone. My iPad mini is more of a “play thing”. I’ve learned the hard way that changing settings, restarting devices, factory resetting devices is all a waste of time and energy when all I have to do is wait for Apple to decide when it wants to connect again. Technology, eh?

6. My iPhone 8 has been doing this recently.

Last night at the bar it refuses to connect to the wifi with the password they give.

Today at school it was working fine as usual, and then after I had been at school for a few hours it suddenly stopped working (actually when I changed rooms).

My university has two types of connection, the “Secure” one that has you put your school username and password into the actual phone settings app, and the “Open” one which instead opens a webpage where you sign in as a guest, or put your school login there.

Now once I switched rooms it dropped me from the wifi (Didn’t bother me at first because this phone does that every 5 minutes anyways, whether I’m at home work or school doesn’t matter its just another dodgy Apple product as usual) anyways, I was in the middle of watching a tutorial on YouTube so I immediately went to reconnect, and to my surprise it was pulling the same issue as last night at the bar, where it would just say incorrect password even though it definitely isn’t.

Whats really fun about this is that not only does it refuse to let me connect to the regular wifi, upon trying to connect to the public version that pulls up the webpage for you to sign in, I found another even more annoying little bug. The second I try to tap anything on the webpage, it basically bricks my phone. it completely freezes up and all I can do is turn it off and on again to get back to the home screen.

So yeah I’m just gonna hope this is my phone being mental for a day like it often is (I mean I’m connected to the wifi on my laptop right now using the same password to write this) and hope it rights itself by Monday. That or I’m just going to finally switch to android and not deal with this overly restrictive and possibly defective product.

7. A fix that worked for me is (found on another site) to type in the SSIN and password by going to Wifi… then other… I had no issues connecting right away.

I had previously contacted Apple and they wanted me to make an appointment to take it to the Apple Store.. Thank Goodness for the internet. This fix worked for me.
    I hope it works for you too.. 🙂

• Found My Fix’s solution did not work for me. Didn’t have the problem for almost a year and then boom, both have it. MacBook doesnt have the problem.