Safari Loading Blank Pages on iPhone or iPad, Fix
This article explains how you can fix when Safari returns a blank page when you try to load a webpage on your iPhone or iPad, as you can see in the screenshot below:
Are you having this problem too? Does Safari open with a blank page instead of the web site? If you are unable to load a site and if Safari shows a blank page (shows nothing), then this article is for you.
We previously wrote an article about a similar problem. That article explains how you can fix the “Cannot Open Page” error. If Safari is displaying the “kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork“, see this article.
Please try the tips below until Safari starts working again:
If you are getting the “This Connection Is Not Private” message, see this article.
To do that you need to quit Safari and then reopen it. Here is how you can do this:
- On your device, go to your Home screen and swipe up from the bottom of the screen. If this is an iPhone 8 or earlier, double press the Home button.
- This will reveal the app switcher which lists your most recently used apps.
- Swipe left or right and find the Safari preview.
- Swipe up on the Safari icon.
- Then reopen Safari normally to see if your issue is resolved.
Restart your device
Restarting your iPhone or iPad may resolve your problem. Here is how you can do that:
- If this is an iPhone X, 11 or later and an iPad with Face ID: Press and hold the side (or top) and the volume up (or down) buttons together until you see the red power off slider. Then drag the slider. Wait about 1 minute so that your device completely powers off. Then press and hold the side button until the Apple logo appears.
- Other iPhone models and iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the side or top button until you see the power off slider. Then slide the slider. To turn your device back on, press and hold the side or top button until you see the Apple logo.
Clear Safari data
Here is how you can do this:
- On your device, tap Settings > Safari.
- And scroll down and find the “Clear History and Web site Data” button, tap this.
- Tap the red Clear History and Data button to confirm.
When you do this, your history, cookies and other data will be removed. These will also be removed from other devices signed into your iCloud account.
Check for an iOS update
It is possible that a software update may fix your problem. Here is how you can check for an update.
- On your device, go to Settings > General > Software Update. if there is an update available, update your iPhone or iPad.
Internet connection issues?
It is possible that the Internet is not working. Lets first try to test that if you have a strong connection. Open the App Store app on your device, does the App Store app load without an issue? Then probably you have a connection. If not, you may try:
- Turn on Airplane Mode and wait about 30 seconds and then turn it off (Settings > Airplane Mode).
- Restart your device.
- Restart your modem and router by unplugging the power cord and wait about 1 minute and then plug them back in.
Try a different connection. If you are using a cellular connection, connect to a Wi-Fi network to see if your problem still occurs. If you are using a Wi-Fi connection, then try to connect to a Wi-Fi network.
Turn off Safari experimental features
On your device, go to Settings > Safari > scroll down and > Advanced > Experimental Features. And toggle off everything here. If this does not resolve your problem, you can turn them on again.
See also: Enable favicons in Safari
I have an Iphone 6 plus that I lost the safari page when I hit the safari icon button. All I get now is a blank white page with no icons or even my favorites that was once listed on the page. I’ve tried many suggested things to regain but nothing helped.. Any advice?