This guide explains the locations of the microphones on your iPhone. Your iPhone has several built-in microphones. Knowing where the microphones are located on your device can be very useful for many troubleshooting purposes. For example, if the microphones are not working properly, you may need to locate them on your iPhone to clean any debris from the openings to fix your problems. This guide can be important because microphone location can vary by device.
Your device’s microphones do a lot of important functions. For example, they are used for noise canceling or recording videos in stereo. Without functioning microphones, you will not be able to make phone calls or FaceTime calls, or Siri will not be able to detect your voice.
The microphone is a small hole, embedded in a pinhole. This is why it may not be easy to locate. Integrated, or built-in, microphones are often found at the top of the display and at the bottom of your iPhone.
You can also buy and use an external microphone.
iPhone 6s, 6s+, 7, 7+, 8, 8 Plus, X, XS, XR, 11, 11 Pro, 12, 12 Pro, 12 Mini microphones
These models have 3 microphone locations:
- The first set of microphones are located at the bottom of the device (bottom microphone).
- The third one is located on the back, between the True Tone flash and iSight camera (rear microphone).
- Another microphone is located on the front of the device (front microphone).
Phone 5, 5c, 5s, SE, 6 and 6+ microphones
These models have 3 microphones:
- There is one microphone that is located at the bottom of your iPhone.
- Another one is located on the back.
- And the third one is on the front of your iPhone.
iPhone 4 and 4s microphones
iPhone 4 models include dual microphones. The top one is for noise cancellation. And the bottom is for, such as, recording a voice memo, or talking to Siri.
The older iPhone models (1st generation, 3G, and 3Gs) have one microphone which is located at the bottom of the device.