Apple has slightly increased the number of test drivers, although the total number of vehicles remains the same. According to new data from the California DMV, Apple now has a total of 66 self-driving cars and 149 certified drivers on the road. This is an increase in drivers since our last report in September, when Apple had 66 test vehicles and 146 authorized drivers. The total number of test vehicles has not changed since the last time we reported. Here are the latest numbers:
- GM Cruise: 233 Vehicles and 906 Drivers
- Waymo: 153 Vehicles and 263 Drivers
- Apple: 66 Vehicles and 149 Drivers
- Zoox Inc: 53 Vehicles and 260 Drivers
- Tesla: 32 Vehicles and 136 Drivers
It appears that Apple is adding more drivers to the fleet at a steady rate.
Currently, California has issued 64 autonomous vehicle testing permits, with 830 approved vehicles operated by 2,880 approved drivers. Apple has yet to apply for a driverless car permit.