Some users are finding that the contents of their emails are not displaying in Mail after upgrading to macOS Monterey. Users affected by this problem can see their email previews in the side bar and can see the email headers, but the body of the email is empty. Users are still able to see their mail just fine using other devices: iPhone, iPad and Macs not yet updated to Monterey. Other mail apps and webmail including iCloud are unaffected. Users have said they can see email older than one month, but the contents of all newer email do not show. Some users have said they see a message to the effect that those emails are part of a mailing list.
How to Fix
It seems that users experiencing this problem have had an anti-virus software installed. Antivirus software such as Avast or AVG Antivirus.
For one user with Avast, deleting the antivirus software fixed the problem. The suggested fix:
- Delete Avast.
- Open System Preferences – Apple menu > System Preferences.
- Click on Network. On the left side, you should see Avast Security listed. Click on it to select it.
- Click the minus sign at the bottom of the left-side column; This will delete Avast.
- Reboot your Mac.
Or , alternatively, you can turn off antivirus functions in System Preferences > Network.
AVG Antivirus (AVG is a subsidiary of Avast)
For one user, turning off Email Shield for AVG Antivirus fixed the problem.
Other Antivirus Software
For other antivirus software, refer to the developer’s website for instructions on how to uninstall their product.
More General Troubleshooting
If the above tips haven’t helped, you can try booting into Safe Mode to help narrow down the source of the problem. Booting into Safe Mode will do a few things for you:
- Prevents some software from loading. If the problem is 3rd party software, it won’t load in Safe Mode.
- Performs a disk check. Runs Repair Disk.
- Clears cache files.
If you can read your email in Mail just fine while in Safe Mode, the following are possible sources of the problem:
- 3rd party software – like antivirus software.
- A system file corruption.
- Some other issue with your User Account.