Are you getting a lot of calls from unknown callers (e.g., spammers, telemarketers etc) with “No Caller ID”. You may want to block these calls because you cannot possible identify the number of a caller before answering. These calls may also be labeled as Anonymous, Private, or Blocked.
You are receiving these calls because, in the USA, The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) mandates that cellular carriers allow people the ability to block their Caller ID, hence No Caller ID. Some ordinary people may want to block the display of their telephone numbers intentionally because of some privacy concerns.
There are also more and more telemarketers, spammers using No Caller ID because they do not want to be known.
The good news is that you can block specific callers/numbers.
In this short article. I am explaining what you can do to block No Caller ID calls. There are basically two methods to do this:
Method 1: Do Not Disturb
You can block unknown callers using the Do Not Disturb mode. This mode lets you silence calls. Here is how:
- Go to Settings > Do Not Disturb
- Choose Manual and turn on Do Not Disturb (when it is on, you will see a moon icon in the status bar)
- Tap Allows Calls From
- Choose “All Contacts”
All calls from numbers/anyone who isn’t already added to your address book will now be silenced. This means that “No Caller ID” calls will be silenced because they won’t be in the address book.
Note that the calls are not blocked, they are only silenced. You’ll still get the calls.
Method 2:Using Contacts
- Create a new contact, you may name this new contact “No Caller ID”. Here is how:
- Launch the Phone app
- Tap Contacts
- tap the + button
- As phone number, enter 000-000-0000
- Tap Done
- Now scroll down and tap Block this caller. A popup will appear saying “you will not receive phone calls, messages or FaceTime from people on the block list” then tap Block Contact.
Method 3: Block No Caller ID Calls (cellphone services)
The ONLY way to truly block a number is at the network level.
Most cellular carriers have a feature to block these calls. Here is how:
- Blocking Calls with No Caller ID (AT & T)
- Blocking Anonymous Callers (T Mobile)
- Anonymous Call Block (Verizon)
- How do I activate Anonymous Call Rejection (Bright House)
Check with your carrier provider to see if they provide this feature. Some carriers, as of now, do not offer this (e.g., Sprint).
You can not find out who a “No Caller ID” caller is.
Note you can easily block a phono number/contact individually by going to Settings > Phone > Call Blocking & Identification.
If you want to hide your number/caller id when calling, simply go to Settings > Phone > Show My Caller ID and turn this off. Please note that not all carriers allow this.
The terms “No Caller ID”, “Private Caller“, “Unknown Caller”, “Blocked Call”, or “Anonymous Call” are the same thing.
See also: How to Turn 4G or LTE Off On iPhone