Do you get this error message when you want to watch something:
This content can not be played on this Apple TV.
Some users have reported that they were unable to download or stream movies or TV shows purchased from iTunes. You may also experience this problem and get this error message when you attempt to watch your content on your iPad or iPhone.
If you are having problems streaming purchased video content (e.g., iTunes purchases) to Apple TV, follow the steps below.
Furthermore, If you are unable to watch video content from third party apps (e.g., Netflix etc), following the tips below may also resolve your issue.
- Go to Settings > Apps > iTunes Movies & TV Shows > turn off Quick start
- Restart your Apple TV. To do this simply go to Settings > System > Restart.
- If you are having issues with your PC or Mac, make sure that you authorize your computer in iTunes. Also note that some users have reported that previous iTunes updates may have deauthorized your computer. Simply:
- Launch iTunes
- Sign in (your Apple ID and password)
- And then go to Account > Authorizations > Authorize This Computer.
- Turn off Wifi and turn back on again. Simply go to Settings > Network.
- Restart your router and modem.
- Unplug your Apple TV from its power source and with a few seconds and plug back in.
Another thing you may want to try is to update your Apple TV’s firmware. Simply go to Settings > System > Software Updates and Select Update Software and then select download and install.
If nothing above helps you with your problem, you may want to reset your Apple TV. Note that this will remove all information and restore your device to its factory settings. Here is how:
- Simply go to Settings > System > Reset.
You may also want to contact the video content providers (e.g. Netflix, Amazon Prime) if your issue persists. If this is an iTunes issue, then contact Apple.
See also: AirPlay Now Working?