How to Connect your Apple TV to Hotel Wi-Fi
You may want to take their Apple TV with you when traveling. When you are away from home, you can use your Apple TV to access Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and stream your favorite movies and TV shows using the Wi-Fi internet connection at your hotel. Most hotels offer free Wi-Fi.
If you are trying to get your Apple TV to work with your Hotel’s connection, then this article is for you. Please note that you will need a Mac computer like a MacBook. Follow these steps:
Step 1: Find the MAC address of your Apple TV:
We will need the Mac address. You can find it in the Apple TV Settings. Here is how:
- Connect your Apple TV to the hotel TV and turn on.
- And then go to Settings > General > About.
- The MAC Address is listed as either the Wireless or Ethernet (depending on the connection, in this case Wireless). It will be a set of six pairs of characters, separated by a colon. It will look like az:18:nd:34:af:56. Write it down. This is not case sensitive.
- If your Apple TV is connected to the Wi-Fi network, disconnect it.
- Then turn off your Apple TV.
Step 2: Authorize the MAC address of your Apple TV
For this step, we will use a Mac. Follow these steps:
1. Determine your Mac’s Interface Name and Address. Here is how:
On your Mac, hold down the Option key and click the Wi-Fi icon in the menu bar. And write down your Interface Name (e.g., en0) and your Address which is a 12 digit hexadecimal number.
2. Open Terminal on your Mac (Applications > Utilities). And enter the following command and hit enter:
ifconfig en0 | grep ether
If your Mac’s Interface Name is different like en1, enter that instead of en0. This code will display the Mac Address. Also ensure that the MacMAC address matches.
3. Now ensure that your Mac is disconnected without disabling Wi-Fi. Here is how you can do this:
- On your Mac, go to System Preferences > Network > Advanced.
- Click the Wi-Fi tab and select the wireless network from the list.
- Click the delete (-) icon to delete the network.
Wi-Fi should be on but not connected to a network.
Now enter the following command and press enter:
sudo ifconfig en0 ether AppleTVMACaddress
For example, the command will look like this:
sudo ifconfig en0 ether 88:bb:c7:a2:f8:87
Enter your admin password.
Now, the network will think that your Mac is your Apple TV. Join the Hotels network and follow the onscreen instructions to authenticate.
After you are done, on your Mac, switch back to original MAC address by entering the following command:
sudo ifconfig en0 ether MacMACaddress
Step 3: Turn on Apple TV
Connect it to Wi-Fi. Since the MAC address is authenticated, you can login without a password.