Minecraft is a widely popular game of blocks with endless possibilities. If you are a newbie, Minecraft lets you create, explore and survive in realms made up of hundreds of different kinds of blocks. Minecraft is not available on the Mac App Store. With multiple editions and versions, it may be confusing to figure out how to get Minecraft on your Mac so that you can start playing. In this article, I will explain the ways you can download and install Minecraft on your Mac.
How much does Minecraft cost? Is there a free version?
The full version of Minecraft is not free. Minecraft has two editions: Java and Bedrock. The Java Edition will run on Windows, macOS, and Linux, while the Bedrock Edition can run on consoles (like Xbox), mobile (like iOS), Chromebook, and PC, but not Mac. Thus, Mac users can only use the Java Edition. You can learn more about the differences between the editions here. Minecraft is currently offered with both editions in one bundle as a single product, so you will get both the Bedrock and the Java edition.
The Java and Bedrock editions have two pricing structures:
- Deluxe Collection: $39.99. This version includes 1600 Minecoins, 5 Maps, 5 Persona Items, 3 Emotes, 3 Skin Packs, and 1 Texture Pack. Deluxe content cannot be run on Mac.
- Base game: $29.99.
You should also know that Minecraft has a free browser version with limited features. Mojang, the parent company of Minecraft, has released a fully free, browser-accessible edition of the initial build of Minecraft’s creative mode. This version allows you to invite up to 9 people to join and play with you. Since this is a browser version, you cannot save the worlds you build. The browser version is available at https://classic.minecraft.net/. To play this for free, open Safari, visit this URL and start playing.
If you need to download the full version, there are basically two ways to get Minecraft: (a) You can either pay first and then download the Launcher and start playing, or (b) you can download the Launcher first and then pay in the Launcher to start playing.
How to download Minecraft from the Minecraft website
- Open a web browser like Safari and visit https://www.minecraft.net.
- From the website, click Get Minecraft.
- You will be asked to select a version. Do not select the Deluxe one, as the extra content does not work on Mac. Then click Check Out.
- You will need to create an account or sign in if you have an account already and follow the onscreen instructions. After you complete the payment, click the Download for Mac button. Then, open the downloaded file to install it on your Mac. This is the Launcher. Once the installation is done, open it to start playing Minecraft.
How to download Minecraft from the Minecraft Launcher
- First, let’s download the Minecraft Launcher by visiting the URL, https://www.minecraft.net/download, and clicking the Download Launcher for macOS button.
- This will download a .dmg file to your computer. Then, double-click the downloaded file to install it. Once installed, click to open it.
- Once you open the Launcher, you can log in or create an account. If you do not have an account, create one. After logging in or registering an account, click the Buy Now button.
- There are two editions you can choose from. As I stated above, Deluxe content cannot be run on Mac. Thus, you should select the Base edition. After you complete the payment, you can start playing Minecraft on Mac. And anytime you want to play Minecraft, simply open the Launcher.