How to Install Zoom on your Mac
This article explains how you can download and install the Zoom app on your Mac. Zoom is a cloud-based video conferencing and meeting service. Its popularity has significantly increased in recent weeks. It is similar to Group FaceTime.
Here is how to download and install Zoom.
There are two ways to install apps on a Mac:
- You can download apps from the Web and then install them.
- Or you can download apps from the Mac App Store.
See also: “App Is Damaged and Can’t Be Opened. You Should Move It To The Trash”, Fix
Installing an app from the App Store is easy and safe. However, the Mac App Store does not have all the apps, including Zoom. You can download from the Web but the process is a little more complicated.
Please follow the steps below to successfully install Zoom on your Mac:
- Open a Web browser on your Mac like Safari.
- Visit the Zoom download page: https://zoom.us/download
- You can install Zoom or Zoom Rooms. Select one and click the blue Download button. And your download will start.
- Unless it is changed, your download will be saved to your Downloads folder. This will be a PKG file.
- Find the file you just downloaded and double-click it.
- This will start the installation process. You may run into an error message saying “Zoom.pkg” can’t be opened because it was not downloaded from the App Store. Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the App Store”.
- If you see this message, you need to change your Mac’s Gatekeeper (a security feature) setting. Here is how:
- Click the Apple menu on your Mac.
- Click System Preferences.
- Click Security & Privacy.
- Click the General tab.
- Find the “Allow apps downloaded from” section and then you need to select the “App Store and identified developers” box. To make changes, you will need to click the lock icon and enter your admin password. Also note that since we just tried to install Zoom, you will see a note saying “Zoom was blocked from use because it is not from an identified developer”. You can also click the Open Anyway button.
- Now open the file again. Just follow the onscreen instruction to complete the installation process.
You can remove apps also from your Mac.