This article explains how you can enable and use the Wi-Fi calling feature on your Mac. The Wi-Fi calling feature enables you to make and receive phone calls (and texting) over an active Wi-Fi connection on your Mac. You can set up this iOS feature and use your Mac to call and text with Wi-Fi Calling.
See this article, if Wi-Fi calling is not working as expected.
There are several benefits of Wi-Fi calling:
- You can use Wi-Fi calling where cellular service isn’t available.
- Wi-Fi calling to USA numbers can be made at no additional charge.
- You can use your existing phone number.
- The setup process is very easy. And once you set up, it works automatically.
Please ensure that you meet the following minimum requirements:
- Make sure that your iPhone is running the iOS 8 or later. It is recommended that you have the latest version of the iOS software installed on your iPhone. You can update your iPhone easily by going to Settings > General > Software Update.
- Make sure that your Mac has the latest version of the macOS software. You can update your Mac by going to System Preferences > Software Update.
- Your Mac must be on the same Wi-Fi network as your iPhone. It is also possible to use Wi-Fi calling even when your iPhone on the same Wi-Fi network as your Mac, see below to learn more.
- Make sure that your Mac and iPhone are signed in to iCloud with the same Apple ID.
- Make sure that your Mac and iPhone are signed in to FaceTime with the same Apple ID. (See also: 6 FaceTime Calling Issues and Their Fixes)
- Make sure that Wi-Fi calling on your iPhone is turned on. You can do that:
Wi-Fi calling on Mac
Follow the steps below to turn on Wi-Fi calling on your Mac:
- Open the FaceTime app on your Mac.
- In FaceTime, FaceTime > Preferences, then click Settings.
- Select the “Calls from iPhone” box. This will let you use your Mac for phone calls when your iPhone is close to your Mac and both devices are on the same Wi-Fi network.
- As stated above, you can even make calls when your iPhone is not nearby. To enable this, you may also see a button saying “Upgrade to Wi-Fi Calling”. Click this button. When you click the button, a popup will appear. Click Enable. Then follow the onscreen instructions. You may be required to update your emergency contact info.
How to remove your Mac
If you want to disable your Mac’s Wi-Fi calling, please complete the steps below:
- On your iPhone, tap Settings > Phone > Calls on Other Devices
- You will see your devices. Turn off any device (your Mac or any other device) to remove.
Please note that not all carriers offer Wi-Fi calling.
How to troubleshoot
Are your having issues with Wi-Fi calling on your Mac. Here is how you can troubleshoot your problem:
- Make sure that your carrier (T Mobile, Verizon, AT&T, etc.) offers this feature.
- Make sure that Wi-Fi calling is enabled on your iPhone and Mac.
- Restart your iPhone and Mac.
- Not all Mac models support this feature.
- On your iPhone and Mac, turn off Wi-Fi calling, then wait 1 minute and then turn it on.
- Make sure that your Mac’s Wi-Fi connection is working.
- Reset network settings on your iPhone by going to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Please note that resetting network settings will wipe all your network settings such as your saved Wi-Fi passwords etc.