This article explains how to use Siri on your iOS device and Mac. If you want to get things done, then you may want to use Siri. Siri can answer questions, find information and perform simple tasks like making dinner reservations for you or scheduling meetings.
Siri can do a lot more than simply search for things. The purpose of this article to provide an overview of using Siri and Sir’s capabilities. Also note that Siri is integrated into iOS, watchOS, tvOS, and macOS. Apple acquired Siri in 2010. Apple introduced Siri as a feature of the iPhone 4S in 2011.
So how to use Siri? In short, Siri is a virtual assistant to help perform many different asks for iOS and macOS users.
How to Turn on Siri
In order to start using Siri, the first thing you should do is to turn Siri on. Here is how:
Tap Settings > Siri and toggle Siri on. This will enable Siri on your iPhone or iPad.
With macOS Sierra, Apple has introduced Siri to the Mac. Now Mac users can use Siri.
Your computer will ask if you want to enable Siri during the installation of macOS Sierra process. You can do that later also by going to System Preferences > Siri and select “Enable Siri”.
See also: How to turn off and on Siri
You can also disable Siri if you want to do so.
How to Start Speaking to Siri
You can start speaking to Siri by activating it. Here is how:
- Home button: hold down the Home button until Siri launches.
- Hey Siri: If you enable Hey Siri (if you want to enable, see below), you can just say Hey Siri.
- The keyboard shortcut: Hold down the Command and Space bars until Siri opens. You can change the keyboard shortcut by going to System Preferences > Siri
- The Siri icon in the Dock: Simply click this icon.
- The Siri icon in the menu bar: Simply click this icon.
What Siri Can Do For You?
Simply Siri can do a lot. Below commands are just examples to give you an idea.
Siri can answer this question also. Just ask Siri “what can you do?”. Here are a few examples:
iOS Siri Commands
- Calls /text: Text, Phone or Facetime “call Serhat”
- Open an app: “open Safari”
- Navigation and find stuff: “take me home” “where is…”
- Check the weather: “how is the weather today?”
- Enable/disable stuff like Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, do not disturb, etc.
- Uber: “Uber please”
- Make reservations: “make me a reservation at….”
macOS Siri Commands
The good news is that Siri for Mac can do almost the same things Siri for iOS can do. Here are few things:
- Siri can find files: “show me files from last week”
- Set reminders: “remind me …..”
- Social media posts: “post to Facebook”
- Open an app or a website: “open macReports” “open Keynotes”
- Facetime or Messages: “Facetime Serhat”
- Find photos: “Find photos from last week”
- Mac commands: “make the screen dimmer / brighter”, “turn on Bluetooth”,”what is my macOS version” or “increase / lower volume” etc.
How to Set Up Hey Siri
Note that Hey Siri is not available on macOS.
“Hey, Siri” lets you activate Siri without pressing the Home button. You just need to enable this feature by going to Settings > Siri > Allow Hey Siri. You will now set up Hey Siri. Just follow the instructions.
Then just say Hey Siri to open Siri. Siri will recognize your voice.
Note that Hey Siri will be disabled while in “Low Power Mode”.
How to Change Siri Settings
Tap Settings > Siri. In here, you can:
- enable or disable Siri
- change Siri’s voice, dialect or language
- enable or disable voice feedback so that Siri works quietly
- change the keyboard shortcut to activate Siri
How to Change Siri’s Language and Voice
You can customize Siri. Here is how:
- Go to Settings > Siri. Then change the settings like:
- you can access Siri when your iPhone or iPad locked.
- you can change Siri’s language. Siri is available in many countries and thus languages.
- you can change Siri’s voice: Male or Female. You can also select accents like American, British, Australian, etc.
- You can enable or disable voice feedback.
- You can also select app support like Facebook etc.
- Go to System Preferences > Siri.
- you can change Siri’s language
- Turn on or off voice feedback
- you can change the keyboard shortcut to open Siri.
If you are having issues, please see this (Siri Not Working) article.