AirTags are powered by common CR2032 3V coin-shaped batteries. These batteries are designed to provide reliable performance for up to a year before requiring replacement. If you’re new to replacing an AirTag’s battery and find yourself in need of a battery change, the process is straightforward.
The day you need to change the battery in your AirTag will come. We have previously written about an AirTag’s battery life. You may want to change your AirTag battery every year, no matter what. That way, you will know that your AirTag won’t run out of charge when you need it.
CR2032 batteries are readily available and can be found on Amazon for approximately one dollar per unit, as well as at various brick-and-mortar retail or drug stores like Walmart, Walgreens, or Target.
Ensure that you do not buy an AirTag battery with a bitterant coating. Apple says that these batteries may not be compatible with AirTags. Bitterant is added to certain CR2032 batteries to deter young children from swallowing them.
Your iPhone will alert you when the battery is running low.
You can also verify the status of your AirTag battery through the Find My app:
- Open the Find My app.
- Tap the Items tab.
- Select the AirTag for which you wish to inspect the battery level by tapping it.
How to replace an AirTag battery
- Flip the AirTag so that the silver side is facing you.
- Apply pressure to the silver, stainless steel rear surface of the AirTag.
- While pressing down, turn counterclockwise until the cover no longer rotates.
- Once the silver top is no longer secured, take it off.
- Remove the exposed battery from the AirTag.
- Insert the new CR2032 lithium coin battery. Ensure that the positive side (+) is up. You’ll hear a chiming sound when the battery is properly inserted.
- Reattach the stainless steel bottom of the AirTag.
- Turn the cover in a clockwise direction until it stops.
- Now your AirTag is ready with the new battery.
To maximize the battery life of your AirTag before requiring a replacement, only activate the AirTag when it’s necessary.
What are you going to do with the old battery? You should know that Apple has an AirTag battery recycle program.
- How to Share an AirTag with Family or Friends
- How to Reset Apple AirTag to Transfer to New Owner
- What is the Range of an Apple AirTag?
Affiliate disclosure: If you buy through our links, we may get a commission.