You can get Siri to read text on your screen to you. This will let you hear your iPhone say aloud whatever you would like. This is different than VoiceOver. This neat feature will help anyone with reading or vision problems. Siri can be used as a screen reader and text-to-speech tool that allows you to listen to the text on your screen. You should note that this will not read the elements of the screen. For example, if you are trying to have a website read aloud, Siri will not mention the images on the screen.
How to have Siri read aloud on iOS
First step: On your iPhone or iPad, open Settings.
Second step: Tap Accessibility.
Third step: Tap Spoken Content, and then you can do the following:
- Speak Selection: When this is enabled, you can select text and then hear the selected text read aloud. On your iPhone or iPad, you can double-tap with a finger to select a word or triple-tap with a finger to select a paragraph.
- Speak Screen: When this is enabled, you can listen to an entire text. Using two fingers, swipe down from the top of the screen to begin. You could have Siri do this. A controller will appear to control the reading. The controller will enable you to pause, go forward or backward or speed up the reading.
- Speech Controller: Turning this on will enable more control and customization. You can customize controller actions: Long Press, Double Tap and Idle Capacity.
- Highlight Content: You can customize how the content to be read is highlighted. You can choose words, sentences, or both to be highlighted. As a highlighting option, you can choose for the selection to be underlined or highlighted using a background color.
- Voices: You can pick various male and female voices in different languages.
- Default language: You can set a default language. You can select the Current Locale option to set the iPhone or iPad to choose the language automatically based on your location or choose a language.
- Speaking rate: You can have the text read slower or faster by moving the slider to the right or left.
After modifying your settings, Simply launch Siri and say speak screen.