Some users who updated to the latest iOS version are finding out that Spotlight Search is not working properly. More specifically, while some users are stating that Spotlight is not showing any results, some others are saying that search is not working as expected.
Spotlight Search Fixes
Symptom: Spotlight does not show Contacts
If you experience this, simply follow these steps:
- On your iPhone or iPad, launch/Open Contacts,
- Tap Groups
- Tap “Hide All Contacts” then tap “Show All Contacts”
Symptom: Search is not working properly
If you think that Search is not finding items, meaning it is not working correctly, try these steps:
- Go to Settings > General > Spotlight Search
- Turn off (deactivate) everything (search results)
- Now turn off your device by pressing and holding the on/off button until you see the slider. Then slide the red slider.
- Turn your device on.
- Now go to Settings > General > Spotlight Search and now turn everything on.
Symptom: Blank Results
If your search is showing empty search results, try these:
- Tap Settings > General > Language & Region > iPad Language or iPhone Language
- Select a language (e.g.; Canada English) and tap Done. Then confirm your change by tapping Continue.
- Now change back to your original language.
Other troubleshooting tips
You may try if your issue, still, is not fixed:
- If there is an update, update the iOS software on your iPhone or iPad by going to Settings > General > Software Update.
- Send yourself an email. For instance, send an email from your iPad email address to your iPad.
- Force restart your idevice by pressing and holding the on/off and the home buttons together until you see the Apple logo.
- Reset Location and Privacy by going to Settings > General > Reset > Location & Privacy.
- Reset All Settings. NOTE: all your settings (Wi-Fi settings, Touch ID, Restrictions etc…) will be gone if you do this. If you want to do it simply go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings.