This article explains how you can fix if your Apple Watch is unresponsive and displays the Apple logo on your screen for more than one hour. The Apple logo may be flashing (appears and disappears and reappears again). This may mean that your watch can’t complete the boot-up process.
There could be several reasons for causing this problem. For example, it is possible that something went wrong during a watchOS update. This is an important problem that you should fix it as soon as possible. This error means that your watch is unusable.
See also: My Apple Watch Won’t Turn On
1. Find My Watch
Before doing anything, try this tip. This involves using Find My Watch to force your Apple Watch to exit the Apple logo screen. Here is how:
- On your iPhone, open the Apple Watch app.
- Then tap My Watch tab.
- At the top of the screen, select the watch.
- Tap the (i) info icon next to the watch that is stuck on the Apple logo.
- Tap Find My Apple Watch. This will open the Find My app.
- Tap Play Sound. Your watch will start playing audio.
- Then get your watch, is it playing audio? If so tap Dismiss on your watch. Now test your watch to see if you have fixed your problem.
Simply try restarting your watch. Here is how you can restart your watch:
- Press and hold the Side button until you see the power off slider.
- Then drag the onscreen power off slider.
- Wait for your watch to turn off.
- Then press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo to turn your device back on.
3. Force restart
If restarting does not help you, try force restarting your watch. Here is how:
- Press and hold both the side button and Digital Crown for about 10 seconds until you the Apple logo appears.
- When the Apple logo appears, release the buttons.
If you are still having this problem, you may want to reset your Apple Watch. This will erase everything and restore your watch to the factory settings. This will also unpair your watch from your phone. But do not worry. The process will also automatically create a backup of your Apple Watch. This process involves two steps:
- Erase everything (unpair).
- Set up your watch (repair) from a backup.
Here is how, since the watch is unresponsive and only shows the Apple logo, we will follow a special route. Please note that this may take up to one hour even longer. Please follow these steps in order:
A. Erase all settings:
- Press and hold both the side button and Digital Crown for at least 10 seconds until you see the Apple logo. When you see the Apple logo release the buttons.
- Then wait a few seconds.
- Press and hold the side button for about 20 seconds until you see the “Erase all content and settings” screen. Then release the side button.
- Then tap this red button. And then follow the onscreen instructions. This will wipe your watch but also create a backup automatically.
B. Repair your Apple Watch and iPhone again
- Your watch should now display a welcome screen.
- Place your watch and phone close together.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to pair them.
- During the process, you can set up as new or restore from a backup.
If you are still having this problem, you may want to contact Apple support (direct link). You may also want to make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorized Service Provider to fix your problem if it is a hardware problem.