Do you see a message with a crescent moon icon saying “[contact name] has notifications silenced” in the Messages app? You may wonder what this means. In this article, I will try to explain what a “notifications silenced” message means.
This message may be displayed when you want to send messages to a friend using the Messages app if your friend has Focus enabled. Here is how this works:
What does “Notifications Silenced” in Messages mean?
As I stated above, this means that the recipient of your message is using Focus and she or he has notifications silenced. If you are using this feature, then your friends may see this message when they message you.
Here is how this works:
1. Stacey turned on Do Not Disturb. Do Not Disturb is a part of the Focus modes. If you want to learn more about this, see our article: How to Change your Do Not Disturb on iPhone after iOS 15 Update
2. I want to send a message to Stacey. I open the Messages app, and I will see the “Stacey has notifications silenced” message. A crescent moon icon will also appear. See the screenshot below:
3. When I send a message, a small “Delivered Quietly” note will appear indicating that Stacey received the message but her notifications are silenced. See the screenshot below:
4. As you can see in the screenshot above, you will also see a message saying “Notify Anyway“. If I really want to deliver the message and make sure that Stacey sees this message, I can tap this message. When I tap this, this will bypass Focus and the message will not be silenced. Depending on Stacey’s settings, her phone may vibrate or ding letting her know there is a new message.
Disable “Notifications Silenced” message
Some people may not want to show this notifications silenced message. You can do that if you want. This way even if you are using Focus, your friends will not see the Notifications Silenced message. In other words, others will not know that you have notifications silenced.
If you want to do this, you will need to turn off “Share Focus Status”. On your iPhone, follow these steps:
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Focus.
- Select a Focus mode.
- Under the Options section, tap Focus Status.
- Toggle off “Share Focus Status”.
When you turn off “Share Focus Status”, your friends will not see the “notifications silenced” message.
- Difference between Do Not Disturb and the iPhone Silent Switch
- Do Not Disturb Not Working on Mac, Fix
- iPhone Vibration not Working? How to Fix
- Silent Switch Randomly Turning On/Off on iPhone 12
- iPhone Silencing your Calls? How to Fix iPhone not Ringing Problem
- Calls Go Straight To Voicemail Without Ringing, Fix