How To Block or Allow Pop-Ups On Your Mac
This article explains how you can block or allow pop-up window ads on your Mac. Generally, pop-ups are forms of advertising. The good news is that you can easily configure your Safari browser to allow or block pop-up windows.
How to block pop-ups in Safari
Pop-ups are annoying. They are unwanted. Sometimes they may slow down your computer. Some pop-ups may use phishing methods. Some may attempt to trick you into downloading and installing dangerous software on your Mac. Some pop-ups are just annoying because they may interrupt what you are doing.
Here is how to block them
- Open Safari
- From the Safari menu, choose Preferences
- Click the Websites tab
- Click Pop-up Windows on the left sidebar. In here you can see the “currently open websites”. You can adjust your settings for these individual websites.
- If you want to block popups, find the “When visiting other websites” option (bottom of the window). There are two options to block: Block and Block and Notify.
- If you select Block and Notify, then you will be notified an a popup is blocked. When a pop-up is blocked in Safari, Safari will briefly say: “Pop-up Window Blocked” in the search field. Also, the address bar will indicate this. You can also decide to allow pop-ups, if you click the small window icon. If you select the Block option, then Safari will block popups without letting you know.
Please note that if you still get pop-ups after blocking them, then your computer could have malware.
It is a good idea to turn on Fraudulent Website Warning in Safari security settings by going to Safari > Preferences > Security.
How to allow pop-ups in Safari
You may want to allow pop-ups for variety of reasons. Sometimes, certain websites may require you to disable pop-up blockers in order for them to work correctly. It is obvious that some legitimate websites may have web content in pop-up windows. Not all pop-up windows are malicious, dangerous or invasive. Please note that you can allow pop-ups from a specific site. In fact, we recommend this. To do this, open the website where a pop-up is blocked. In the search field (address bar) click the window icon (see the image above).
Here is how turn off pop-ups completely for all sites:
- Open Safari
- Click Safari > Preferences
- Select the Websites tab
- Click “Pop-Up Windows” from the left side menu
- And then select Allow
Please note that by default, Safari disables pop-ups automatically in the browser, unless you configure differently.
I hope that this will eliminate the pop-ups that appear to be generated from GOOGLE for various services. It fills the whole right-side of my screen on my desktop. Very annoying especially when I am on a ‘ZOOM’ conference.
I followed these exact instructions and allowed pop-ups on my computer so I could finish a final exam for my online class. However, even though I have successfully allowed the pops ups in the preferences/websites tab…pop-ups are STILL blocked when I go to take my final exam. I click on the tab I need to start the recording of my computer screen and it says the whole ‘oops! you must enable pop-ups in your setting’…I’ve redone it multiple times and refreshed the page, logged off and back on. But to no avail. Any help or direction?