You can block people if you don’t want to get calls, texts, emails from them so that you can avoid unwanted calls or texts. You can block contacts or numbers through the Messages, FaceTime, Mail, and Phone apps. When you block someone in one app, he or she will be blocked across the board.
Regarding the blocking feature, a lot of users have usually these two questions:
- What actually happens when a number is blocked? For example, what will happen when a blocked person tries to call or text you?
- Will the blocked person know that he or she is blocked? For example, will they get a “your number has been blocked” message?
In this article, we will try to answer these questions.
If you block a contact, what will happen?
- If the contact or number you blocked sends you a text message, you will not receive it. These text messages will go nowhere.
- If the blocked number or contact calls you, the call will be silenced. You won’t get a notification. However, the blocked contact can leave a voicemail. The thing is that you will also not get a voicemail notification. The voicemail will not appear with other regular voicemails, instead, it will be put in a separate folder called “Blocked Messages, under Deleted Messages. If you want to see the voicemail, open the Phone app, tap Voicemail, and scroll down. And tap Blocked Messages if you want to listen to these voicemails.
- If the blocked contact uses Facetime to call you (video and audio), again, you will not get a notification.
- If you want, or need to, you can call your blocked contacts without unblocking them. They will receive your calls. You can also send them messages.
If you are blocked, what will happen?
- There is no way for you to know if you are blocked.
- If you call the person who blocked you, your call will be sent straight to your voicemail. This is the only clue for you that may indicate you have been blocked. But this may also mean that Do Not Disturb is turned on.
- Your text messages will not be delivered.
- If you facetime the person who blocked you, the call will ring without an answer. The other person will not know anything.
- The blocked contact or number can still contact you through third-party messaging apps such as WhatsApp, Instagram, or Telegram. However, these third-party apps also offer contact blocking features.
- As stated above, the block does not go both ways and goes one way. You should be able to text and call the numbers you have blocked.
- If you are getting too many sales calls, you may also want to add your number to the National Do Not Call Registry.