Apple Cash is a convenient way to send or receive money. Apple Cash payments are easy and fast. Sometimes there may be situations where you want to dispute the cash you sent and be refunded. For example, let us say that you used Apple Cash to send a friend some money to mow your lawn. But your friend did not mow the lawn. Or you mistakenly sent cash to the wrong person. Can you get your Apple Cash money back? What do you do? You may be able to cancel the payment and get your money back if your friend has not already accepted the payment. In this article, we will tell you what options you have to get your Cash back.
How to cancel your Apple Cash payment and get a refund
- The sooner you do this, the greater the chance of getting a refund. You can only cancel the cash transaction if the recipient has not already approved and accepted.
- Open the Messages app.
- Tap the conversation in which you sent this payment.
- You will see the little black message bubble with a cash amount printed on it. That is your Apple Cash payment. If you have multiple, find the correct one. Check to see if it says Pending. Again if it says Pending, you can cancel it. Tap on it.
- You will be directed to the specific transaction in the Wallet app.
- You will see the details of this transaction. Tap Cancel Payment.
- After canceling, the Apple Cash message bubble will say Canceled. After it has been canceled, the amount will also be dimmed and grayed out.
- If you do not see the Cancel Payment option, then this means that this transaction is no longer pending, and the recipient has already accepted the cash. You will also get a notification when your payment is accepted.
- If you are able to cancel, the money will be returned to you within 1-3 days. If you used your Cash balance, the money will be refunded to you immediately. If you used your debit card, it may take a little longer.
Can you get a refund or open a dispute if the recipient already accepted the Apple Cash transaction
- You can simply ask the recipient for your money back; explain why you want your money back. If the recipient mistakenly received the money, they may agree to return it. They can send the exact amount as a new Apple Cash transaction to you. You can also send a request for payment via the Messages app.
- Say you asked the recipient to return the money, but the person refused. Unfortunately, you do not have many options. This is because Apple Cash is a peer-to-peer payment service. Apple only provides a platform.
- If you believe the recipient is a scammer, you can contact Apple support.
How to avoid scams so that you do not need to dispute
- Only send Apple Cash to people you trust.
- Since it is very easy to send money via Apple Cash, ensure that you are sending it to the correct person. Double-check everything before hitting the Send button. You may be shown warnings like “Fraud Suspected” just before hitting the send button. Pay attention to them.
- Although I gave a lawn mowing scenario as an example above, do not use Apple Cash for business transactions.
- If someone asks you for money and promises to send more (free) money in the future in return, do not do it! It is a good idea to make sure you can recognize scams.