A lot of Mac users are using Chrome or Firefox to browse the Web. Like Safari, both Chrome and Firefox offer password management features. You can use Chrome or Firefox to store the usernames and passwords. This article explains how you can transfer your passwords from Chrome or Firefox into iCloud Keychain in Safari on your Mac.
You may want to get your passwords everywhere across all your devices. When you import your passwords and login data, they will go into your iCloud Keychain. This means that you can keep your passwords updated across your Mac, iOS, or iPadOS devices. You can also auto-fill passwords and if you ever need to see your password (such as a website password or a Wi-Fi password), you can view your passwords.
If you want to switch from Firefox or Chrome to Safari without losing your saved passwords, then you will want to move your passwords from them to Safari.
Please follow the steps below:
You must quit Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome before your information can be imported. You can quit by clicking Firefox or Chrome and then click Quit Firefox or Quit Chrome. You can also press the Command – Q keys.
1. Open Safari on your Mac.
2. Click File and then select Import From.
3. Select Google Chrome or Firefox.
4. A new popup window will appear saying “Select the items to import”. There are three types of items: (1) Bookmarks (2) History and (3) Passwords. Please make sure that the passwords box is checked. If you want Bookmarks or History also, select them too.
5. And click the blue Import button. If asked, enter your password which is your admin password.
1. If you attempt to import passwords from Firefox, Firefox asks you to enter your “Firefox master password“. It appears that it asks this no matter if you do not have one. It further appears that if you want to import from Mozilla Firefox, you will need to create one. If you want to create one, follow the steps below:
- Click the menu button in the toolbar.
- Click Preferences.
- Click Privacy & Security.
- Scroll down and find the “Logins and Passwords” section.
- Check the box next to “Use a master password”. This will open a new window. Enter a new password and click OK.
2. Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox must be installed on your Mac. You cannot import from accounts.
3. Make sure that you are using the latest version of macOS. You can check for updates by going to System Preferences and Software Update.
4. You can import anytime you want using Safari, even if you previously imported.
See also: Chrome Won’t Open On Mac, Fix