Several users have said that they have no audio when they try to listen to SiriusXM in Safari on their Mac. SiriusXM is a subscription streaming radio service that features more than 300 channels ranging from ad-free music, information, and entertainment, to sports, comedy and other original content. In this article, I explain what you can do to fix it if the service appears to be playing, but you can’t hear any sound.
You can subscribe to SiriusXM radio in your car. You can also sign up for the SiriusXM online streaming subscription service. If you are a subscriber, you can use your Mac to listen to it using a browser, like Safari. This article is for you if you do not hear any sound while using SiriusXM.
How to fix SiriusXM no sound issue
Follow these steps until your issue is fixed.
Simply restarting your Mac can help you. Before restarting your Mac, try restarting Safari. Then, if that doesn’t work, restart your Mac. Here is how:
- Restart Safari: With Safari open, go to the top menu bar and click Safari. Click Quit Safari, and then reopen Safari.
- Restart your Mac: On your Mac, open the Apple menu and then click Restart.
Update your Mac
Ensure that your Mac is up to date. If you update to the latest macOS, the update will also include built-in updates, if updates are available. On your Mac, go to System Preferences > Software Update. Then follow the onscreen instructions.
Check your Mac’s sound settings
The first step is to review your sound settings on your Mac. Are you be able to hear any sound from the built-in speakers on your Mac? Here is how you can check these settings:
- Open System Preferences and choose Sound.
- Click the Output tab.
- Ensure that your speaker is selected.
- Make sure that the output volume slider is not set low. Move the slider if it is too low.
- Make sure that the mute checkbox is not selected.
If you are still not hearing any sound, check to see if your Mac’s sound is working. For example, open Safari, and visit YouTube.com and play a video. Can you hear it? If not, you may have a hardware problem, thus you may want to contact Apple.
You may want to delete the Sirius data from Safari to see if this can fix your problem. If a corrupt cache is causing this, deleting it will fix the problem. Here is how:
- With Safari open, go to the top menu and click Safari.
- Click Preferences.
- Click Privacy.
- Click the Manage Website Data… button.
- This will open a new window. You do not need to remove all. In the search field, type “Sirius” and hit enter.
- Then select “siriusxm.com” and click Remove.
- Now, open Safari again, open the SiriusXM web site. You will need to log in again.
Turn off content blockers in Safari
Some users have said that turning content blockers off can fix this problem. Here is how.
- In Safari, open the SiriusXM website and try to listen.
- Then, go to the top menu, click Safari, and select “Settings for player.sirisusxm.com.”
- This will open a new popup.
- Uncheck the “enable content blockers” option.
- Restart Safari and test again.
GPU Process: Media
Safari has a developmental feature called “GPU Process: Media” that does all media loading and playback in the GPU process. Some users have said that turning this off fixes this problem. You may also want to try this. Here his how:
- Enable Safari’s Develop Menu, if you have not already:
- With Safari open, go to the top menu and choose Safari > Preferences, click Advanced, then select “Show Develop menu in menu bar.”
- Now you will see the Develop menu on the Safari menu bar.
- Click Develop.
- Click “Experimental Features.”
- Scroll and find “GPU Process: Media.”
- Ensure that this option is deselected.
- Now Quit Safari (Safari > Quit Safari).
- Test Sirius radio again.