Several users have complained that they are unable use the Apple News app. It appears that users are experiencing these problems:
- Won’t respond, load or open.
- News+ catalog, individual channels, or the main Today news feed is not loading.
- News links are not opening.
- Stories are showing the “loading” error.
Furthermore, it appears that some users are presented with different error messages upon opening the app:
- Feed unavailable. There may be a problem with the server or network. Please try again later.
- Sorry, Apple News isn’t available right now. Please try again later.
- Channel unavailable.
This article explains what you can do when the Apple News app is not working properly on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac.
Check these first
You may have issues using Apple News for one of these reasons:
- Apple News may not be available for all countries. It is available in Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Here is how you can check if the region is set correctly:
- iPhone or iPad: Tap Settings > General > Language & Region.
- Mac: System Preferences > Language & Region.
- There could be an Apple News outage. Go to the Apple System Status page to check if there is an outage for the News service in your country.
- It appears that Low Power Mode may cause Apple News not to work properly. Turn off Low Power Mode by going to Settings > Battery and then try again. This applies to iPhone and iPad devices.
- Your device is out of date. You can check for updates on iPhone or iPad by going to Settings > General Software Update. On your Mac, click System Preferences and Software Update.
- Force closing the app and then trying to reopen it. Here is how you can do this:
- iPhone or Pad: Swipe up from the bottom of the screen (or double-press the Home button), find the News app, and swipe up on the app.
- Mac: In News, click News > Quit News. If this does not work, press the Option, Command, and Esc (Escape) keys together and select News and click Force Quit.
- Restart your iPhone, iPad, or Mac. Then try to open the News app again.
- Clear Apple News history and try again:
- On your iPhone or iPad: Open the News app, then go to Following > History and tap Clear and Clear All.
- On your Mac: Open the News app on your Mac and then click History > Clear > Clear All.
If none of the above reasons apply to you, and you still can’t use the app, follow these steps:
Check your connection
The app may not work because you may be suffering slow Internet speeds.
- Make sure your iPhone, iPad, or Mac has a Wi-Fi connection or a cellular-data connection. On your device, open Safari and visit a website like macreports.com. If nothing loads that may mean that you are having connection issues. Try these:
- Enable Airplane Mode on your iPhone or iPad and then disable it. On your Mac, turn off Wi-Fi and then turn it back on.
- Restart your router/modem. Unplug it, wait one minute, and then replug it.
- Make sure that you are not too far from your router or modem.
- If you are using a VPN, turn it off and try again.
- You can reset your network settings. On your iPhone or iPad, go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. On your Mac, you can do that too. See our article: How To Reset Network Settings On Mac.
- If you are trying to use Apple News over cellular on your iPhone or iPad, please ensure that Use Cellular Data is on for Apple News. On your device, go to Settings > Cellular, Cellular Data, or tap Mobile Data > then find News and ensure that it is enabled.
Date and time
Ensure that the date and time settings on your device are set correctly for your location. Here is how you can check:
- On your Mac: Open System Preferences, then choose Date & Time. You may also want to check the “Set data and time automatically” box.
- On your iPhone or iPad: Go to Settings > General > Date and Time. You may also want to turn on “Set Automatically”.
Delete and reinstall
If you are having this issue on your iPhone or iPad, you may want to delete and reinstall it. Although News is a built-in app, you can delete it from your iPhone or iPad. And after deleting you can reinstall. Here is how:
- Tap and hold the News app.
- Tap Remove App.
- Tap Delete App.
- Now restart your device.
- Then go to the App Store and find the News app and download and install it.