If you have lost or misplaced your iPhone, you probably want to start looking for it as soon as possible. You are likely aware that there are ways to locate your lost iPhone other than just looking around with your own eyes. Apple devices can make use of a feature called Find My that allows you to find your iPhone using another device, like another iPhone.
In this article, we will tell you how you can use another iPhone to locate your own. We’ll also tell you the steps you should take when your device goes missing.
You can also access Find My with a browser on an Android phone, a computer or an iPad. The advantage of using your friend’s phone is that you can take it along with you as you are trying to locate your lost iPhone.
What you should do if you have lost your iPhone
The following are the things you should do if your iPhone becomes lost. The first step is to look for your lost device. The remaining steps describe what you should do if you can’t find it.
Use another iPhone to help find your iPhone
The first thing to do when you misplace your device is to try to find it (of course).
- On your friend’s iPhone, open a browser (like Safari) and go to iCloud Find My.
- If necessary, tap on “Use a different Apple ID.” Tap on Sign In.
- Enter your Apple ID and password.
- You may need to tap on Find Devices. Select your iPhone from the list of devices. If you don’t see your iPhone listed, you did not have Find My set up with your phone. You could still use your friend’s iPhone to call yours, and if you can’t locate your iPhone, there are still steps you can take to help protect your data.
- Now you should be able to see your iPhone on a map. Note that Find My only locates your devices with a certain accuracy. For example, sometimes, when I check Find My, it will show one of my devices at my neighbor’s house or in the empty lot across the street.
- If you are near your device, you can tap on Play Sound.
If you can’t find your iPhone
You should do the following in order.
1. Mark it as lost
If you can’t find your iPhone, especially if you are worried you lost it in a public place or it was taken by someone, you should mark it as lost. This will lock the iPhone so that it can’t be opened without a passcode (that you create when locking it). This also gives you the opportunity to create a message that will be displayed on your phone. The message can contain information about how to contact you.
2. Report your iPhone missing
If you think someone may have taken your iPhone, you should contact law enforcement in your area. If you think you misplaced it, you should inquire about the lost and found in all of the places you may have left your phone.
3. If you have AppleCare
If you pay for AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss, you should file a claim so that you can receive a replacement iPhone.
4. Erase your iPhone
Important: If you do have AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss protection, DO NOT ERASE YOUR iPHONE! File a claim.
This is best if you were running iOS 15 or later (iOS 15 came out in late 2021). If you were running iOS 15 or later, you can still try to track your device using Find My even if you erase it. With earlier versions of iOS, you will lose the ability to track it using Find My.
5. Tell your cell carrier
You will want them to disable your line so your iPhone stops receiving calls and texts. Many people may also have loss coverage under their carrier’s insurance plan.
6. Remove the iPhone from your device list
Important: If you do have AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss protection, DO NOT REMOVE YOUR iPHONE! File a claim, then wait for the claim to be approved first.
If you no longer have the phone, you will want to remove it from your Apple ID device list.