How to Reset Network Settings on iPhone
Internet is important for many of the things you use your iPhone for: checking email, social media, browsing and more. If you are having connection issues with your iPhone, you may need to reset your Network Settings. This is not usually the first step you would take to try to resolve issues, as it can mean you will need to re-enter some settings and passwords, but when other troubleshooting steps fail, resetting your Network Settings can fix the problem.
Here are some of the issues where you may want to try resetting your Network Settings:
- Cellular data not working
- Slow Wi-Fi connection
- iPhone can’t connect to Wi-Fi
- Cellular data for apps keeps turning off
- Wi-Fi password sharing not working
Resetting your Network Settings will reset your Wi-Fi networks and passwords, your cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings. Your Bluetooth devices will also be gone. Your other data not related to cell service, Wi-Fi or Bluetooth will not be deleted.
Things you can Try First
Briefly, here are some things you can try before resetting your Network Settings when you are having connection issues.
- Update your device: Go to Settings > General > Software Update and install any available updates.
- Airplane Mode: Go to Settings. Tap the toggle switch next to Airplane Mode, wait 20 seconds, then tap to turn it off again.
- Restart your iPhone/iPad:
- iPhone X or later and iPad with Face ID: Press and hold the power (side or top) and volume up (or down) together until the power off slider appears. Drag the slider. Wait until your device turns off, then press and hold the power button until you see the Apple logo.
- Other iPhone or iPad models: Press and hold the power button (side or top) button until the power off slider appears. Drag the slider. Wait 1 minute. Press and hold the power button until the Apple logo appears.
- For Wi-Fi issues:
- Unplug, then re-plug your modem/router.
- Forget the Wi-Fi network: Go to Settings > Wi-Fi, then tap the info button next to your Wi-Fi network. Tap on Forget This Network. Tap Forget to confirm.
Reset Network Settings
Reset the Network Settings on your iPhone or iPad.
iOS or iPadOS 15 or Later
- Open the Settings app and tap on General.
- Scroll down and tap Transfer or Reset iPhone (iPad).
- Tap on Reset, then Reset Network Settings.
iOS or iPadOS 14 or Earlier
- Open the Settings app and go to General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.