Apple Watch ECG Not Working? How to Fix
Several users have reported they are unable to take an electrocardiogram (ECG) using the ECG app on the Apple Watch. ECG is also called EGK. There may be a few reasons why the Apple Watch ECG feature is not working. This article explains how you can fix this problem. Please try the steps below. Make sure to check your Apple Watch after each step to see if ECG starts working.
1. Check if the ECG feature is available in your country
The ECG app is not available everywhere. Initially, the functionality was limited to the United States. This is because ECG is considered a medical device or feature and each country has different regulatory approval processes. However, Apple has continued to gain regulatory approval and it has been adding many additional countries.
Apple’s website lists all of the countries where Apple Watch’s ECG feature is available.
2. Check if the ECG app is available on your watch
The app is not available on all watch models. The Apple Watch Series 4, 5, 6 (and later) have the ECG app. The previous Apple modes and Apple Watch SE do not support this feature. You can identify your watch model by looking at the back of the watch case.
Simply restart your iPhone and watch:
- Apple Watch: Press and hold the side button until the power off slider appears. Drag the slider. Wait for 30 seconds for your watch to turn off. Then press and hold the side button again until you see the Apple logo.
- iPhone X, 11, 12, or later: Press and hold the side button and the volume up (or down) button together until the power off slider appears. Drag “the on-screen power-off” slider. Wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off. Then press and hold the side button until the Apple logo appears.
- Other iPhone models, iPhone 8 and earlier: Press and hold the power button (side or top) until the power off slider appears. Drag the power-off slider. Wait for your iPhone to turn off. Then again press and hold the side button until the Apple logo appears.
Ensure that your iPhone and watch are using the latest version of iOS and watchOS.
- iPhone: Go to Settings > General > Software Update.
- Apple Watch: On your watch, tap Settings > General > Software Update. Or alternatively, you can update your watch using the Watch app on your iPhone. Open the Watch app and then go to General > Software Update. Follow the steps for when the Watch app keeps crashing.
5. Clean your Digital Crown
It is possible that your Apple Watch may not be able to take an accurate ECG because the Digital Crown, which is located on the side of the watch, is failing to sense your finger. Check your Digital Crown for substances like debris, dust, or lotion. Here is how you can clean it:
- Turn off your watch.
- Ensure that your watch is not connected to the charger.
- If you have a leather band, remove it.
- Do not use any cleaning products like soaps or other chemical sprays or materials.
- Hold the Digital Crown under lightly running, warm, freshwater from a faucet. Keep holding it for 10 -15 seconds. and rotate the crown while the water flows.
- Then dry your watch with a non-abrasive, lint-free cloth.
- Then try to use the app again.
6. Delete and reinstall
Delete and then reinstall the ECG app. Here is how:
Delete the app:
- On your watch, go to your Home Screen by pressing the Digital Crown.
- Find the ECG app.
- Press and hold the app until it jiggles.
- Tap the delete (X) button. A new screen will appear saying “are you sure you want to delete “ECG”?” Tap Delete App. See this article if you cannot delete apps from your watch.
Install the app again:
- Before reinstalling, restart your Apple Watch.
- Then open the App Store app on your watch.
- Tap Search.
- Use your voice or scribble to search for the ECG app.
- Find the ECG app, you may need to scroll down to find it.
- Tap the cloud with an arrow icon to install it again.
See also: How To Install Apple Apps Removed From iPhone, iPad or Apple Watch
7. Reset all settings
If you are still having this problem, try resetting all settings. This will not delete your data but all of your settings will be gone.
On your iPhone, go to Settings > General > Reset and select “Reset All Settings”. Then follow the onscreen instructions.
Then open the ECG app on your watch, it will say open your Health app on your iPhone. Open the Health app and then set up the ECG app.
Cleaning worked for me! Thank you so much!
There is a hiss sound when i use ekg app. I tried all of methods that you recommended but it still exist. It’s series 6 and I wonder if it’s a normal thing. Do you know anything about it
Good day I have followed all the suggestions listed, I still cant setup ECG. I’m still getting the “not available in this region” error. I have checked the list of regions and Bermuda is one of the listed.