Fitness+ Says “Apple Watch Unavailable”; Fix
Several Apple Fitness+ app users have reported that they see the following error message when they wanted to start a workout. This article explains how you can fix this problem.
The error messages says:
Apple Watch Unavailable. To show your metrics, your watch needs to be unlocked and have Bluetooth turned on.
The alert also shows a button that says “Work Out Without Watch.” You may also see a message saying “Looking for Apple Watch”.
It is important that you fix this problem. Because unless you fix this, you will not be able to use the app. Apple Fitness+ is a subscription service for $9.99 (US) per month or $79.99 (US) per year. You need an Apple Watch Series 3 or later. The Apple Fitness+ app is designed to incorporate workout metrics, such as heart rate and calories burned, from your Apple Watch directly to your iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV. This means that if you are experiencing this problem, your key metrics from your Apple Watch will not appear on your device.
See also: Apple One: What’s Included in the Free Trial Bundle?
Before you do anything, please ensure that your hardware and software meet the Fitness app requirements:
- Apple Watch Series 3 or later.
- iPhone 6s or later.
- iPad with iPadOS 14.3 or later.
- Apple TV with tvOS 14.3.
1. Check your connection
It is possible that your Apple Watch isn’t connected or paired with your iPhone. Please try the followings:
- Please ensure that your Apple Watch and paired iPhone are in range and they are not far from each other. If your watch is too far from your device, they may disconnect.
- Make sure that Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are turned on on your iPhone.
- As the message says, ensure that your watch is unlocked.
- On your Apple Watch, go to Settings > Bluetooth and turn off Bluetooth, wait for 30 seconds and then turn it on.
Restart your devices. This may fix your problem. First restart your Apple Watch. And then your iPhone, iPad or Apple TV. Here is how:
- Apple Watch: Press and hold the side button until the power off slider appears. Then drag the slider. Wait for 30 seconds. And then press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo.
- iPhone / iPad:
- iPhone X, 11, 12 or later and iPad without a Home button models: Press and hold the volume up (or down) and the side buttons together until you see the power off slider. Drag the slider. Wait for your device to completely turn off. Then Press and hold the side button to turn on your device.
- iPhone and iPad with a Home button models: Press and hold the power button (side or top) until the power off slider appears. Drag the slider. Wait for your device to power off. And then press and hold the power button until the Apple logo appears.
- Apple TV: You can disconnect it from the power outlet and wait 30 seconds and then connect again. Alternatively, you can go to Settings > System and select Restart.
3. Update everything
You can use Apple Fitness+ on your iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV. You will also need an Apple Watch. Make sure that your device has the latest version of its software. If needed, update your devices to the latest version of iOS, watchOS, iPadOS or watchOS. Here is how:
- iPhone / iPad / Apple Watch: Go to Settings > General > Software Update.
- Apple TV: Go to Settings > System > Software Updates and Select Update Software.
See also: watchOS: Unable To Install Update
4. The Home app
Some users have said that downloading and installing the Home app fixed the problem for them. You may also try this. Download the Home app on your device. And open the app. That’s it (if you already have the Home app, remove and install). Then try to use the Fitness app to see if it is working now.
5. Reset network settings
Reset network settings as this may fix your Fitness Plus app problem. Please note that doing so will erase your network settings such as your Wi-Fi passwords. Here is how:
- iPhone or iPad: Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
6. Unpair and then pair
Unpair your watch from your iPhone and then repair. Here is how:
- Keep your iPhone and watch close. Then on your iPhone, open the Apple Watch app. Then go to My Watch > All Watches. Tap the (i) info button and then tap Unpair Apple Watch (since we will repair again, when asked, choose to keep your cellular plan). Then follow the onscreen instructions. A backup will be automatically created.
- Then repair again. Turn on your watch and hold your watch close to your iPhone and then follow the onscreen instructions. During the set up process, you will be asked if you want to restore from a backup or set up as new.
See this article, if you are having issues with the pairing process.
If you are still having any issues with Apple Fitness+; please let us know down in the comments below!
For me, restarting both finally got it to work
I tried everything in this article as still no luck. It’s incredibly frustrating as it worked originally but now won’t
Can connect watch to iPad Pro, but not to my other iPads, which I was able to connect to yesterday
After restarting and resynching watch to phone, still can’t connect to the fitness app