In this article, we explain how you can secretly record a zoom meeting on your Mac. By secretly, I mean recording a Zoom meeting without the host’s permission and without the host or other participants knowing. You can do that on your Mac without purchasing or downloading additional third-party apps or software. You can record your Zoom meeting’s video and audio.
Please note that Zoom offers a recording function. Meeting participants will be notified that a meeting is being recorded. This means that a recording notification will be displayed. This further means that you cannot record a Zoom meeting without the host knowing within Zoom. The host will know the meeting is being recorded and who is doing the recording.
If you are using this article to record your Zoom meetings, be careful. There may be consent laws that require the permission of both or all parties involved in a recording.
You can join a meeting from the browser, from the Zoom Mac desktop application. Here is how you can create a new Zoom screen recording:
1. When you are ready, on your Mac, open the Quicktime Player app from your Applications folder. QuickTime Player is the default media player for your Mac. It lets you record audio and video. You can use Spotlight to open it.
2. In QuickTime Player, choose File > New Screen Recording. This will open Screenshot and display the tools.
3. Click Options. If you want audio, select a microphone (if you have more than one). You can also select the location where you want to save your Zoom recording. You can also record your entire screen or a selected portion of the screen, e.g., your Zoom window.
4. And click Record. And your Mac will start recording your screen. If you are in a Zoom meeting, your recording will include your Zoom meeting too. When you start your recording, a recording icon will appear in the menu bar indicating that a recording is in progress.
5. When you want to stop your recording, like when your meeting ends, press Command-Control-Esc (Escape) or alternatively click the recording icon in the menu bar. When you stop the recording, QuickTime Player will open the Zoom recording. There are few things you can do:
- You can save your recording by going to File > Save.
- You can edit your recording. You can split it into clips and then you can delete or arrange your clips (Edit > Split Clip.).
- You can also share your recording (File > Share).