There are two ways to record your screens without using a third-party tool on your Mac. The first one is to use the Screenshot utility tool, and the second one is to use the QuickTime Player app. Your Mac comes with both of these tools. I remember the first time I started to record my screen, I could not easily figure out how to stop it. It seems a lot of users have the same issue.
Since this is a screen recording, there is no big red “stop recording” button because it would be recorded, too and could interfere with your recording. Sometimes users do not know how to stop the recording, or they even forget they are recording; their recordings continue for hours, and they end up with massive video files. This article shows all the ways to stop your recordings.
Your Mac offers different ways to record your screen. You can capture your entire screen or part of your screen. We’ve previously explained how you can take screenshots and recordings on various Apple devices:
- How To Record Your Face and Screen On Your Mac
- How To Record Your iPhone or iPad Screen
- How to Screen Record on iPhone with Sound
- How to Record your Screen or Take a Screen Shot on Apple TV
- How to Take and Share Screenshots on iPhone
All the ways to stop your computer screen from recording
1. Use a keyboard shortcut
Regardless of how you are recording your screen, you can use this keyboard shortcut to end it:
After pressing these keys together, your recording will be opened as a video file, and then if this is a Quicktime recording, you can share, save and edit it. You will see a video thumbnail in the bottom-right corner of the screen if you used the Screenshot tool (if Show Floating Thumbnail is enabled).
2. Use Touch Bar to stop the recording if applicable
If you have a Mac with Touch Bar, the Touch Bar will show a Red stop button when the recording starts. You can tap this button to stop the recording.
3. Use the menu bar
A button will appear in the menu bar on your Mac when you start your recording. It looks like a square inside a circle. Click the button to end the screenshot.
4. If the above methods are not working, use Activity Monitor
There are, of course, other ways to stop screen recording. But these may not be very practical. I am only including these for two main reasons:
- You are a geek, and you want to learn other ways.
- The above methods do not work for you for some reason.
You can use Activity Monitor to quit the recording. Here is how:
- Open Activity Monitor (Applications > Utilities).
- Using the search field, search for “screen.” From the results, select the Screenshot process and then click the (X) Quit icon and then click Quit again. This will end the recording.
- How Long Can You Screen Record on iPhone and iPad
- Screen Recording Failed to Save Due to: -5823 (or-5831), Fix
- How to Crop a Screenshot on your Mac
- How to Change the Default Screenshot File Format (PNG) to JPG, TIFF, GIF, BMP, or PDF in macOS
- Your Screen is Being Observed on Mac, Fix
- Where Do Apple Watch Screenshots Go?
- Screenshots Not Working On Mac, Fix